First, a wrap-up of the last Quiztime. For an excellent explanation of the issue, read this comment. Also note that this is not the most nice way to do plugins with C++, it’s a boiled down piece of code I debugged.
I’m not sure if there is some confusion about the current development model of Shotwell. I noticed that some distributions seem to try to pick up the current development branch (0.25.x). I strongly advise against that at this point in time. It has just seen a major change in the Menu handling code and might still have severe usability regressions.
While I appreciate any testing of the code, I would really not have the current unstable version of Shotwell stuck in a released distribution. If you want to try those releases on Ubuntu, there is an unstable PPA available.
So to sum up: Shotwell follows the “traditional” version scheme of “Odd is unstable, even is stable” and roughly tries to stick to the GNOME release schedule.
So, following up from the last quiztime which was about the importance of explicit linking, another case from the wonderful world of shared libraries.
This time we study the implications of dlopen, its parameters and C++. Consider the program and module below. If you run that, it will crash somewhat obscurely in libstdc++. Why?
#0 0x00007f687b2eb126 in std::ostream::sentry::sentry(std::ostream&) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#1 0x00007f687b2eb889 in std::basic_ostream >& std::__ostream_insert >(std::basic_ostream >&, char const*, long) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#2 0x00007f687b2ebd57 in std::basic_ostream >& std::operator< < >(std::basic_ostream >&, char const*) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#3 0x00007f687a6f01a0 in Impl::print (this=0x558a9bc1f2e0, str="Hello") at module.cc:24
#4 0x0000558a99de3d1b in main (argc=1, argv=0x7ffca28cf538) at main.cc:31
A new feature that was included is a contrast slider in the enhancement tool, moving on with integrating patches hanging around on Bugzilla for quite some time.
SSL certificate handling
A second enhancement that was introduced is the option to override invalid SSL certificates. This is currenly only available in the Piwigo publisher and might be added to Gallery3 in future, i.e. all services that might be self-hosted on self-signed cerfificates.
Parts of GUPnP (that is its core, GSSDP and GUPnP itself) will see a 1.0 release together with the next GNOME release. They are quite stable API-wise and functionality-wise now and I think it’s time to give them a proper blessing for that.
After that, master will become more unstable in regards of API, as there are some long-standing bugs and fixes that need an API change as well as new features to be added, such as proper IPv6 support, support for more recent versions of the UPnP standard (UDA 1.1, UDA 2.0), a more GIO-like async API,…
We’ve been digging up some annoying age-old bugs or regressions deep down in Rygel for some corner-cases (Did you know that renderer unmute was broken since 2013?)
Some more usability fixes on their way, but the big roadblock of RAW import performance is still proving to be quite annoying. Bit like a hydra, really. You cut of one RAW developer, three new seem to disappear.
Project Lazarus: GtkTerm
I took GtkTerm and poked a bit at its source, mainly for two reasons
Dry-run some GTK modernisation that will be necessary in Shotwell as well (GAction etc.)
It’s the least worst (sic) of the graphical serial terminals I tried. At least it seems to cope way better with odd USB <-> Serial adapters than t rest of the bunch
Rygel is currently mainly receiving maintenance things because reason. This is hopefully changing soonish
I picked up Shotwell as maintainer and things are coming along nicely, though its architecture sometimes makes changes that sound really easy very hard (e.g. certain import performance improvements). Most annoying part, though, is that the merging of the awesome map feature is somewhat affected by the recent woes regarding MapQuest’s tile server
Long time no blog. Sorry about that. Things have gotten a bit busy since I changed jobs in Nov 2013, moving along to the crazy and sometimes insane world of automotive in general and IVI in special. Due to that and a rather unpleasant commute, things in Rygel land have gotten a tad more silent then I hoped, not revolutionary, maybe not even evolutionary. For example, there’s still no ACL support as I promised way back on GNOME.Asia 2013.
I will have to skip FOSDEM this year for several reasons, sorry about that.
For Rygel, I hope to finish the integration of (most of) Cablelab’s changes for their CVP-2 work as they will allow nice and long requested features such as pre-transcoding or transcode caching, server-side trickmodes, simple device-dependent resource reorder (for devices that are too stupid to pick the proper resource). Unfortunately I have found a rather large feature regression with upload that seems to turn out to be somewhat nasty to fix.
That’s all for now.
I’m currently working on adding DVD sharing to Rygel and while doing that, I resurrected a tool I wrote in 2005 to aid the tedious process of authoring DVDs on Linux. Today I cleaned it up a bit, gitified it and pushed it to github: https://github.com/phako/authorg
Please be warned that it might kill your data if you don’t read the message boxes carefully and cancel in time (and I mean that seriously, not as a standard disclaimer).